Honolulu Waldorf Student Support
"Each child in every age brings something new into the world… Our proper task as educators is to remove hindrances…"
- RUDOLF STEINER
Honolulu Waldorf School is dedicated to helping students reach their individual potential and honors students’ diverse learning styles and ways of being in the world.
Teachers help students discover the joys of learning and to meet challenges with resilience and perseverance. Teachers, students, and families know each other well, and a Class Teacher guides students over many years.
Additional support structures are well-established throughout the school. The members of the Honolulu Waldorf Student Support Team are available to help students academically, socially & emotionally, behaviorally and curatively.
- Developmental Milestones Assessments: first grade entry and second grade
- Yearly spot checks by Extra Lesson teacher per request
- Second-Sixth Grade Reading Assessments
- Referrals to specialized professionals for further evaluations, therapies, and remediation outside of school
- Assistance to Class Teachers: strategies and accommodations most helpful to students with learning differences
- Therapeutic Eurythmy
- Extra Lesson small-group support
- Small-group push-in/pull-out reading and math intervention
- After school study-hall support
- Dyslexia Intervention Program one-on-one tutoring
- Life Skills 6th-12th grade curriculum
- Solution Teams
- Conflict Resolution Teams
Student Support Team
Student Support Team Consultant: Dr. Barbara Lee
Student Support Mandate Chair, & Developmental Milestones Coordinator: Mary Jo AbiNader
Lower School Student Support Coordinator, Reading Specialist & Dyslexia Intervention Program Director: Meilani Dela Cruz, M.Ed.
High School Student Support Coordinator: Judy Journeay
Lower School Reading Specialist, Math Interventionist, Spelling Bee Coach & Extra Lesson Support: Jessica Stack
Lower School Class-Study & Child-Study Coordinators & Extra Lesson Support: Alicia Tsadok & Ash Cole
Eurythmy Therapist: Marguerite McKenna, M.Ph.
College Counselor, Life Skills Teacher, Social Emotional Learning Coordinator: Layla Schuster
High School Counselor: Jonathan Northrop, M.Psy.
The Honolulu Waldorf School complies with ADA guidelines for independent schools by offering reasonable accommodations and program modifications that will allow students with a range of mild to moderate disabilities to attend the school.